[registrars] .COOP agreement

CORE Secretariat secretariat at corenic.org
Tue May 15 12:25:21 UTC 2007

Hi Ross,

I understand it is is easy to let oneself be carried away in a
"we-versus-them" view of the world. In the one you are proposing here,
the would be registrars+users on one side, an the registries+TLD
sponsors on the other.

Just remember other dividing lines are being proposed as well. The
London School of Economics' proposed a "registration interests" view,
where registries and registrars are seen as the same crowd. Or, I might
distinguish between "high-volume interests" (such as Tucows and
Verisign) and "diversity interests" (my version of "the rest of us").

What about recognizing the ICANN world as being divided between those
who can afford extensive lobbying, and those who cannot? Consensus
policies tend to be shaped according to the interests of the former, and
to ignore the latter. In this respect, the mechanism in the proposed
.coop contract is simple and elegant. It provides minimal protection to
registries (and their constituents) who cannot afford to have near
full-time lobbyists in every ICANN working group. And this protection
merely consists of an ability to be heard.

But we might just as well just worry about well-designed contracts from
a public-benefit perspective. The contracts must be able to deal with
future, yet unknown issues.

It is actually also an advantage for the timeliness of consensus
policies. *If* there is a path obtain exemption in a deserving special
case, *then* it is much easier faster to devise a consensus policy for
the general case.

Regards,

Werner

--