[registrars] RC Elections - Call for Nominations

Robert F. Connelly BobC at awesome-goo.com
Wed May 16 22:15:03 UTC 2007

At 03:30 PM 5/11/2007 Friday  +0200, Thomas M?rz wrote:
>I nominate Bob Connelly for the election of Registrar Constituency Secretary.

Dear Registrars:  Thank you, Thomas, for your nomination.

The role of Secretary is one I greatly enjoy and therefore accept your nomination.

I have been Secretary of many organizations over the years, business, religious, social and fraternal.  In fact, I was recently designated "Secretary Emeritus" of a group in Tokyo which I served as Secretary for twenty years.  I was even Secretary of the Policy Advisory Body (PAB) in 1997 after the signing of the IAHC MoU, which set off the chain of events leading to where we are at this very moment.

A bit of my philosophy of the role of Secretary:  In addition to the assignments set forth in the By-Laws, the Secretary should support the Chair and other offices in the performance of their offices.  Further, the Secretary needs to see that the proper arrangements have been made for our meeting rooms -- microphones, projection equipment, lighting, entry security (for the closed portions of meetings), registration table, etc.

Notices need to be sent to poll the members so that we can let ICANN know how large a room we will need.  Teleconferences need to be set up for members unable to be present at the venue.

On a more ephemeral basis, the Secretary can help create an atmosphere of cordiality and friendship between the members and officers.  That starts at the registration table, a smile and "howdy do you, please sign in on this sheet".

I have attempted to help us know one another by printing the "tent cards" to go in front of each voting member -- printed on both sides so that your neighbors right and left can see your name without feeling obvious about it.

All that said, if it pleases the members I would like to serve you as Secretary for the next year.

Cordially, BobC