[registrars] Power of ORG

Nevett, Jonathon jnevett at networksolutions.com
Fri Oct 26 02:39:11 UTC 2007

<<Just wondering if the Registrar Constituency has a position on
registrar domain pricing?>>

Todd:

Just to be clear, the law of the United States and other jurisdictions
prohibit us from discussing registrar domain pricing.  The simple answer
is that we do not discuss it, and therefore do not have a position on
it.

With regard to registry promotions, the registry agreements permit
promotions and it's up to them how to implement them.  Some promotions
have been based on a percentage of net new adds, and that hurts
registrars with a large base.  Other promotions based on new adds will
be better for registrars with the greatest sales activity.  Still others
may be based on specific geographic regions -- typically outside of
North America and Europe -- which benefit registrars in those areas.
Again, it's up to the registries on how to structure their promotions.
Based on the various business models represented in the RC, we have
never and will never agree on a position on such promotions, which is
why we didn't take one when these provisions popped up the last few
years in the various registry agreements.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Jon