[registrars] Call for action - GNSO motion on Domain Tasting

DotAlliance helen at dotalliance.com
Thu Apr 10 23:26:41 UTC 2008

I agree!
This action effects the registrars most strongly and we should present a
united front!
While the GNSO has worked very hard I do not see that they fully understand
registrar concerns
If we don't come up with a united front we may well be stuck with the GNSO
motion.

A small amount say 20 cents above an agreed minimum ..if the previously
suggested minimun is not sufficient perhaps the greatest of 100 or 15% of
deletes with the fund going to ICANN (in the hope of reduced fees) or how
our registrar constituencey association or FOURI (Fund to offset unwarranted
registry increases?
Registrars should still be able to apply for exemptions but perhaps
"extraordinary events" as the GNSO suggests is too strong a word as cases of
fraud, API abuse, hackers, and even registrar errors can occur or any events
in which the deletions are not as a result of domain tasting are sadly not
necessarily rare events.

I most strenuoulsy object to paying full fees in the AGP period as it is a
great deal of work to sort out in the case of a minor overlap.
We also do not want to be in the position of having some registrars
reluctant to delete/refund registrants for typo due to a run of fraud that
month.

Since Bhavin has given this process a great deal of thought I would like to
suggest he word a motion that we can all vote on.
He might want to suggest different possilities on the minimum number of
forgiveable domain deletions, the amount to pay after this and where the
funds could go.

Helen