[registrars] Call for action - GNSO motion on Domain Tasting

Bhavin Turakhia bhavin.t at logicboxes.com
Thu Apr 10 14:56:47 UTC 2008

> Keep in mind that the motion proposes pretty much the same
> thing as the
> already approved funnel requests of Neustar and Afilias for .biz and
> .info. And that the current form of the registry agreements

I agree. And that was discussed in the last meeting. Several registrars had
brought this up in the RC meet as well as in the cross constituency meet. I
remember a heated argument with jeff neumann about the negative implications
of these funnel requests.

> specifically
> allows registries to limit the AGP deletes, so funnel requests from
> other registries are likely to be approved just as quickly. What the
> motion provides is a more consistent implementation across
> registries.

While I am all for consistency, and definitely like the GNSO coming up with
something that is standardized rather than independent registry funnel
requests, in this case I think that is not required given the ICANN Board
proposal. That proposal by itself is consistent and eliminates the need then
for individual funnel requests OR for a GNSO proposal

> Also, the first step in getting our message across to the
> Board is with
> the GNSO vote on this motion. Whether we vote in favor or not
> we should
> include an on-the-record statement regarding our views of both the
> motion and the ICANN fee. See my proposal on the Members list.

I agree that we need to vote and make a statement. Will send comments on the
statement on the members list.

bhavin