[registrars] Registrar Constituency Agenda -- New Delhi Meeting

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Mon Feb 4 20:20:19 UTC 2008

Michel Machado wrote:
>    Isn't it possible to just use EPP's pool for it?

Well, yes, however as has been mentioned, this implies that the notice
can be delivered in-band to the registrar (epp client),
with arbitrary delay by the registrar (epp client), by the registry (epp
server), using a queue.

What you'd like is the notice mechanism I proposed for the protocol back
when we were still in the draft-provreg-epp-mumble-xx.txt
stage, however, to have registry-initiated instances of communication
such as "your hair is on fire", we'd have to make
the event model of the protocol symmetric.

If we did that, we could use EPP to irritate each other, as in, I need
to sell a widget I'm not a widget-registrar for, so I need
a one transaction deal with a widget-accredited registrar who can EPP
(or whatever) to the widget registry.

Verisign won that one, so until there is agreement that we should do
epp-bis, that is, do some fixing, I suggest getting some
sort of agreement on a payload, which could be some nicely parsable xml
and some operator-readable structured text,
and use SMTP as transport.

Eric