[RSSAC Caucus] RSS Metrics work party -- purpose of metrics

fujiwara at jprs.co.jp fujiwara at jprs.co.jp
Mon Jul 22 02:52:17 UTC 2019

I prefer another order.

1. Define metrics from any vantage points and how to measure.
2. Perform measurements for a while. (and see results)
3. Define service level.

I think current service of root-servers is very good.
For example, 10 root-server addresses (of 26) answers within 3 ms at my home.
(22/26 answers within 130ms)

# com/net nameservers case, 3/13 IPv4 servers answer within 3ms.
# all IPv6 servers' RTT >= 107ms. (US west or farther location)

I don't oppose metrics designed to measure service levels first.
However, service level should not depend on vantage point locations.

I proposed to measure and compare the servers of other domain names
(for example, .net or cann.org) as well as the root servers in order
to avoid the influence of the measurement point.

For example, when smallest RTT to icann.org/.net/root servers is
larger than 300ms, the vantage point has poor link to major part of
the Internet.

--
Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS <fujiwara at jprs.co.jp>