[RSSAC Caucus] [Ext] FOR REVIEW: RSSAC026v2: RSSAC Lexicon

Wes Hardaker hardaker at isi.edu
Tue Jan 28 23:01:58 UTC 2020

throwing random thoughts to the internet:

Root server identifier: the DNS name that references a root server.  These
are then translated into IP addresses as well.  These used to be referred
to as "letters", but they have not always been a "letter" and may not be in
the future as well.

Root server: (all) the infrastructure maintained by a root server operator
to handle root service pointed at by a given root server identifier.  In
the distant past, these were potentially implemented using a single
physical device, or "server", but are not today.

Root server instance: A portion of a root server's infrastructure that
serves root data from a particular site, which may consist of single or
multiple physical devices.
Anycast instance: another name for a root server instance.

and a note to go with it: These terms obsolete previous definitions and
unfortunately, their usage may be incorrect in documents prior to this one.

Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI