[RSSAC Caucus] [Ext] FOR REVIEW: RSSAC026v2: RSSAC Lexicon

Wes Hardaker hardaker at isi.edu
Fri Jan 31 22:19:35 UTC 2020

> Another problem with including "topological location" is that it is not
> accurate for some of the RSOs who use load balancers. That is, some RSOs
> treat all hosts behind a load balancer as different sites with different
> NSIDs, while other RSOs treat them all the same (emitting the same NSID).

One of the reasons I put "site" in my wording was the target audience.  The
difficulty comes in trying to have conversations, especially at venues like
ICANN, where the people in the conversation don't need to have intricate
details about how things work, but do care deeply about topology and
political borders.  IE, our target audience after seeing a list of terms
that doesn't talk about instances being "in places" will still be left
confused by how to rectify that in their heads.

There is nothing wrong with two instances being in the same rack, I agree
completely.  Certainly we don't want wording to say "and must be unique at
that site", but I don't think we were headed that way.

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI