[RSSAC Caucus] Rogue Operator Work Party: Source of zone data

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Tue Oct 6 21:45:09 UTC 2020

On 6 Oct 2020, at 13:19, Renard, Kenneth D CTR USARMY CCDC C5ISR (USA)
via rssac-caucus wrote:

> A discussion topic brought up at the last Rogue Operator Work Party
> call was on where [technically] an RSO fetches their root zone
> information from.  Typically, an RSO will fetch zone data directly
> from the RZM’s servers [distribution of the zone files among the
> RSO’s instances is not considered here, just the initial fetch(es)
> from a source].  What if an RSO obtained their copy of the zone data
> from an intermediate source?  #RootZone
>

> The RSO is responsible for publishing the correct IANA zone, as made
> available by the RZM.  Whether they get it directly from the RZM or
> via some other party should(?) be irrelevant.  An intermediate source
> certainly does introduce additional risk that the zone could have been
> modified, but it is still the responsibility of the RSO to publish
> true IANA data.  I would not consider it _wise_ to obtain the zone
> from an intermediate source, but would we go so far as to say that
> this is a _rogue_ operation?  Historically (1998?), fetching from an
> intermediate was seen as a pre-cursor to rogue operations, where new
> source may have had intentions of changing the zone, but there seem to
> be different interpretations of those events.
>

> The question to the group is: “Would using an intermediate source of
> root zone data, by itself, be considered a ROGUE operation?”
> Regardless of who the intermediate is…, regardless of the
> authenticity of the zone data…

to me, the first criteria for declaring rogue is that the operator is
not serving the root zone, but a modified version. The only way to
really find that is with DNSSEC. In this context, the source of the root
zone seems irrelevant to me.

Marc.