[RSSAC Caucus] [Non-DoD Source] Re: [Ext] Re: Rogue Operator Work Party: Source of zone data

Fred Baker fred at isc.org
Sun Oct 11 06:57:02 UTC 2020

Oops, wrong source address...

The thing I find myself wondering about is - I'm not sure I personally care about "official". I want to be able to tell if a constellation is someone I *should* consider trustworthy. For traditional RSO, this tells me whether they are doing the right thing. If I'm evaluating a possible RSO from a DRF perspective, I don't care wither they are an "official" RSO - they're very possibly not. I want to know whether they meet the requirements.

Note that we have several contenders for a possible blessing as an "official" RSO. I'm trying to give some guidance to those that might be pressured to let them play, and want to know whether they are acceptable. My first thought is that *anyone* could go to the IANA, get a zone file, and distribute it. Hyperlocal roots do that, and DoH and DoT servers do that. How do I identify when an operator does something that is seriously out of bounds? How do I qualify someone that might be trustworthy on an Internet scale?