[RSSAC Caucus] [Non-DoD Source] Re: FOR REVIEW: Requirements for Measurements of the Local Perspective on the Root Server System

Renard, Kenneth D CTR USARMY DEVCOM ARL (USA) kenneth.d.renard.ctr at army.mil
Wed Aug 25 15:53:41 UTC 2021

Hi, Paul.  Thanks for the feedback.

The reasoning behind these latency measurements is to have some context for interpreting latency to root server instances.  For example, a slow "last mile" link would likely have effects on both root server and open resolver latencies.  The work party decided on using popular open resolvers as a reference latency target since they are a well-deployed service and have similar processing times (non-recursive DB lookup).  The exact math for such an analysis is not described in this document, but the reasoning is laid out at the end of section 2.1, under item #4 in the list of "measurements of interest".

If you think that additional text is required, I would be glad to propose something and work with you to address this.

Thanks!

-Ken