[RSSAC Caucus] Principles Guiding the Operation of the Public Root Server System

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Fri Mar 5 15:30:48 UTC 2021

On Mar 5, 2021, at 5:38 AM, Andrew McConachie via rssac-caucus <rssac-caucus at icann.org> wrote:
> The RSSAC has started working on a document further describing the eleven guiding principles of the RSS.
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/16PaN5_liBOVuIOEoEIUApY_l25XWsL-xkzbG3dbcpGY/>
>
> Work on the document is ongoing. So please add any comments you may have.

In reading the document, it is clear that while the top-level principles are similar, the underlying text has been radically changed.

As a first example, the old text under #2 says:
   RSOs are committed to serving the IANA global root DNS namespace. Root servers provide
   DNS answers containing complete and unmodified DNS data, including DNS Security Extensions
   (DNSSEC) data.[1] In addition, IANA maintains the necessary technical information
   identifying root servers.[2]
That commitment was used as the basis for other requirements in RSSAC037, and for the correctness checking in RSSAC047.

However, that commitment has been completely removed in this new document. Similarly, in principle #2, the responsibility to provide a high-quality service to the Internet.

What is the reason for such removals? To me, they seemed like a excellent part of the principles.

--Paul Hoffman