[RSSAC Caucus] RFC7701bis and RSSAC001 update proposal: require NSID

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Tue Feb 28 01:11:48 UTC 2023

On Feb 27, 2023, at 4:56 PM, Wes Hardaker <hardaker at isi.edu> wrote:

> There was a discussion during the last call about whether or not RSOs should be required (via RFC7701bis at least) to support and transmit NSID.

Just a note that that is a typo: this is about a -bis version of RFC 7720, not 7701.

> Currently all the existing RSOs do support NSID and return some value (see below).   Since they all do, it seems like an easy jump to put the requirement into RFC7701bis.  But there is also a question of what value should be reported; I'd think it should be a fairly simple statement that doesn't prescribe an explicit format, but rather should say something generic like "indicates a unique identifier for a given deployed instance".
>
> Thoughts?

I agree that <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hardaker-iab-rfc7720-bis/> should include a requirement that all RSOs support correctly responding to queries with the NSID EDNS0 option included. I also agree that there is no significant value to specifying a format, and that there may be a harm in fixing a format that might need to be changed in the future.

--Paul Hoffman