[RSSAC Caucus] RFC7701bis and RSSAC001 update proposal: require NSID

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Wed Mar 1 10:11:38 UTC 2023

On 01/03/2023 01:22, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2023, at 5:13 PM, Wessels, Duane via rssac-caucus
> <rssac-caucus at icann.org> wrote:
>>
>> How about this:
>>
>> MUST implement the Name Server Identifier (NSID) Option [RFC 5001]
>> and SHOULD set the NSID payload to a string that conveys the
>> server's geographic location.
>
> This works for me, although I would prefer that this be a MUST. I
> don't see any logical situation where an RSO is running server
> software that cannot emit some configured string in an NSID
> response.

All RSOs do currently have -something- in their hostname.bind and NSID
data that contains an RSO-specific location code, but it takes quite a
long series of regexes to extract them.

However those codes do not necessarily conform to any recognised
standard, so this potentially opens up a can of worms on what
constitutes "a string that conveys the server's geographic location".

Ray