[RSSAC Caucus] RFC7701bis and RSSAC001 update proposal: require NSID

Andrew McConachie andrew.mcconachie at icann.org
Wed Mar 1 10:58:49 UTC 2023

> On 1 Mar 2023, at 11:11, Ray Bellis <ray at isc.org> wrote:
>

> On 01/03/2023 01:22, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> On Feb 28, 2023, at 5:13 PM, Wessels, Duane via rssac-caucus
>> <rssac-caucus at icann.org> wrote:
>>> How about this:
>>> MUST implement the Name Server Identifier (NSID) Option [RFC 5001] and SHOULD set the NSID payload to a string that conveys the
>>> server's geographic location.
>> This works for me, although I would prefer that this be a MUST. I
>> don't see any logical situation where an RSO is running server
>> software that cannot emit some configured string in an NSID
>> response.
>
> All RSOs do currently have -something- in their hostname.bind and NSID data that contains an RSO-specific location code, but it takes quite a long series of regexes to extract them.
>
> However those codes do not necessarily conform to any recognised standard, so this potentially opens up a can of worms on what constitutes "a string that conveys the server's geographic location”.

As long as someone can figure out the syntax themselves I don’t think there needs to be an agreed upon syntax. A while back I helped a researcher who wrote to ask-rssac at icann.org <mailto:ask-rssac at icann.org> with trying to figure out which instance they were getting queries from and we ended up just writing the RSO and asking them. That process doesn’t scale well.

There’s a top-level top-level key to the JSON data called “Identifier Naming Convention”. Some RSIs fill this in and some don’t.
<https://root-servers.org/root/B/json/>

There’s also RFC 7108 to be aware of.
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7108>

Thanks,