[RSSAC Caucus] RSSAC002v5: New title for section 3.1

Andrew McConachie andrew.mcconachie at icann.org
Wed Mar 1 14:34:57 UTC 2023

Dear RSSAC Caucus Members,

I had an action item to propose a new title for §3.1 in RSSAC002v5.
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/187k3b64DgkeCM6ib6ny6Ok7LzNxdT_v5X6FE0l0hdZ0/>

Once the new title is determined I will then affect the language throughout the section in accordance with its new title.

First I thought about some terms for time durations in networking.
time, latency, lag, delay

‘latency’ would seem the obvious choice, but my problem with ‘latency’ is that it often refers to a mean over many trips. When we talk about ‘high latency’ in networking we’re usually referring to many trips, or a state of the network, whereas here we’re talking about a single transfer of data.

‘latency’ like ‘delay’ and ‘lag’ are also negative. We can add qualifiers to both like ‘low-‘, but without that qualifier it has negative connotations.

This leaves me with ’time’, because it does not evoke a mean or negativity.

And then I considered the definitions of publish and serve from RSSAC026v2.
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rssac-026-lexicon-12mar20-en.pdf>

The period we’re titling here is between publishing and serving root zone data. More specifically it is between receipt of a NOTIFY message from the Root Zone Maintainer until 95% of the RSI’s instances are serving the new data.

All the other titles in §3 start with ‘The’, and §3.1 needs to blend in.
3.2 The volume of traffic
3.3 The query and response size distribution
3.4 The RCODE distribution
3.5 The number of sources seen

So how about this:
3.1 The time elapsed between publishing and serving

Thanks,
Andrew