[RSSAC Caucus] Number of instances in the rss for a past date

Wes Hardaker hardaker at isi.edu
Wed Nov 29 23:14:24 UTC 2023

Hi Hafiz,

> FYI, I was checking the load time graph for b.root-server but found it
> broken.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.  We were rather busy with
making sure our recent address change went smoothly.

I've looked into why we stopped publishing load-time's, and indeed we
haven't in a while (long story about that section of our data processing
pipeline stopping).  We have a fix nearly in place and we should
back-create as much of the data as we can so the graphs should hopefully
reappear shortly.

We'll note that the load-time metric is not one that we believe is all that
useful, except when things go really-really wrong (at which point it's
probably not the metric that will warn people about the problem).  I am
curious whether or not anyone actually finds this metric useful, and if so
how?  In the past we've talked about removing it from RSSAC002 data
requirements in the a future version of the specification unless there is a
demonstrated need for it (my/our personal opinion, not necessarily the
opinion of the other operators).  We do intend to support it while it's in
the specification though.

Cheers,
--
Wes Hardaker