[RSSAC Caucus] From Jeff - Messaging Workshop: Explaining the Root Server System

David Conrad david.conrad at layer9.tech
Sun Jun 9 14:06:59 UTC 2024

Hi Robert,

In a quick scan of the document during a layover at the 10th circle of Hell (aka Heathrow) and during a stay in Purgatory (i.e., an observer at the HLGM), my high level takeaway was:

a) it’s unclear what the goal of this document is — in my experience, most decision makers do not want to know about the details of DNS resolution, rather they want to know why they don’t need to care.
b) if the target is non-technical decision makers, again based on my experience, the document is WAY, WAY too technical (e.g., very few non-technical people are going to understand what a “namespace” is and referring to RFCs is unlikely to help — they’ll simply abandon the doc), and is far, far too long.
c) section 4.2 is confusing
d) section 5 misrepresents parties and their relationships.
e) perhaps a stylistic nit, but I personally think that generally, the long, explanatory footnotes would probably be better incorporated into main body of text.

The focus on showing how the RSS is not queried that often is an interesting approach worth exploring.  However, it feels like it complicates trying to explain the RSS in a way that non-technical decision makers will understand. Due to conflicts, I’m not sure I’ll be at the RSSAC working session. I provided a number of comments and a few edits in suggest mode. Feel free to use/discard as you see fit.

Regards,
-drc