[RSSAC Caucus] From Jeff - Messaging Workshop: Explaining the Root Server System

Robert Carolina rob at isc.org
Tue Jun 11 10:11:47 UTC 2024

Hi Paul

You mentioned that the "ISOC briefings written by daniel karrenberg... still seem accurate to me...."

First, I am grateful to you for having pointed out the material written by Daniel Kaarrenberg when I asked last year (at IETF 117, San Francisco) for ANY materials that present the process of address resolution from the perspective of activities typically triggered by the end user. His essay was helpful in more ways than one.

This is not a question so much about the accuracy or inaccuracy of existing DNS training materials and explainer documents. I accept that most of them (and anything from Danial Karranberg, especially) will be accurate.

The gap that we are trying to fill is to create a body of explanation that can be understood and digested by various non-expert readers who need to understand both the purpose of the root server system, as well as the nature of the real-world impact that the RSS has on Internet operations.

In other words, "accuracy" (on its own) is insufficient. We need a body of material that is accurate, that explains the role of the RSS in an operational (not hypothetical) setting, and that gives policy makers and decision makers (whether their background is in engineering, accounting, business, or liberal arts) sufficient resource to open a meaningful dialogue with us. In the process of making materials understandable we also find it necessary to avoid the use of some engineering terms that act as linguistic "false friends" in the world of politics and policy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_friend

As with any project designed to educate non-experts we have made knowing decisions to sacrifice completeness for the sake of simplifying some of the material. For example, we feel there is very little marginal utility in explaining glue records to policy makers - so we have not attempted to do so.

"Accurate" and "understandable" are two different targets. As I see it, the world of DNS has a plentiful supply of materials that are accurate and some that are not. However, the world of DNS suffers from a shortage of materials that are sufficiently "understandable" to the layman to build a foundation for meaningful dialogue. On this latter point, we continue to gather valuable feedback from selected test audiences and we have already found significant utility using the current draft material to explain ourselves.

Jeff will be discussing this when we convene the working session on Thursday morning.

Kind regards

Rob

--
Robert Carolina
General Counsel
rob at isc.org
My normal time zone: UTC+0/UTC+1
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/robertcarolina/

ISC and Internet Systems Consortium are names used by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc (a not-for-profit company) and its wholly owned subsidiary Internet Systems Corporation, both incorporated in Delaware with headquarters in New Hampshire, USA.

This transmission (the email and all attachments) is intended solely for the addressee(s). The contents are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended addressee, or if this transmission has been addressed to you in error, you must not disclose, reproduce, or use the transmission or read any attachment. Delivery of this transmission to any person other than the intended recipient(s) does not waive privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this transmission in error, please reply by e-mail to explain receipt in error and then delete.