[Rt4-whois] Chair nominations invited for the WHOIS Review Team - Acceptance and Vice Chair

Susan Kawaguchi skawaguchi at facebook.com
Tue Oct 26 21:32:18 UTC 2010

I echo Bill's sentiments.   Definition of how we go about  evaluating ICANN's enforcement of the WHOIS policy should be our first priority.

Kathy,  I personally very much appreciate your willingness to take on the monumental job as chairperson but I personally would like to have a clear picture of the work we will be doing in this group before we set up our internal structure.

As a group what do we expect of the chairperson?   This is crucial to discuss as the role of chair will be very important in guiding how this team works together.  I think we should establish ground rules and guidelines on what is expected of the chairperson before we decide on an individual.

In other groups the chairperson's responsibilities have been described as follows:

  "The purpose of a Chair is to call meetings, preside over working group deliberations, manage the process so that all participants have the opportunity to contribute, and report the results of the Working Group to the Chartering Organization. "

"Qualities of the Chair
The main concern of the chair should be the aims and objectives of the group and the integrity of the meeting process. There follows a brief description of the personal qualities that a good chair should possess.

Authority
The chair will need to maintain control to ensure that progress is made in line with the schedule - as defined in the agenda.

Flexibility
Following an agenda does not always imply unquestioning devotion to it. For example, if an unplanned deviation could produce a clarification or the bonding together of meeting participants, then this might represent a very effective strategy.

Impartiality
It is important that the chair supports an equal and fair consideration of all sides of the argument. This can be especially difficult where the chair is privately on one side of the debate.

Maturity
The chair must be able to accept and work with a broad cross section of personalities. They should view each meeting without too much preconception as to how individuals will act and react, but be able to respond as the need arises. "

You all may be thinking, "Of course, that is what we expect"  but I would feel more comfortable discussing the role and coming to consensus.  The WRT has many diverse view points and experiences. Consensus building, transparency and neutrality will be key in the role of the chair and the group should make a conscious decision on what we expect of the chairperson.

I am also somewhat concerned that the first two ICANN review teams will be chaired by representatives of the Registry stakeholders group.   We should consider  spreading the work to other constituencies.