[Rt4-whois] Preliminary Report - 28 Oct session + Cartagena proposal

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Fri Oct 29 17:55:11 UTC 2010

Without an agreed upon scope and Terms of Reference, I am uncomfortable with our considering and agreeing to work items beyond those necessary to determine what our work is and how we will perform it. While discussing our scope, we can consider offers such as this and ask if it falls within our remit given the language of the Affirmation of Commitments, which is the defining document for this, and other Review Teams.

Regarding this specific proposal, and without either supporting or opposing it, I note that there are possible outcomes other than the one feared. Further, even if the feared outcome proves to be the actual outcome, other remedies are possible that might meet be effective, promote consumer trust, and meet the needs of law enforcement.

But again, I firmly believe that it is too early to consider moving forward with this or any other study.