[Rt4-whois] Not crazy about Robert's Rules

Kathy Kleiman kKleiman at pir.org
Wed Nov 10 13:23:43 UTC 2010

Hi Wilifried and All,
I am not crazy about Robert's Rules. Please know that I have used them for many, many years, and like anything else, they are a tool and a weapon in the hands of people who are expert with them. You can use Robert's Rules to encourage discussion, and to shut it down. I find them a version of crowd control -- which is very necessary in a large legislative  body.

But we are not a large legislative body. We are a small, collegial, expert group. In that case, traditional ICANN rules would seem to be in order -- they are not documented, not formal, but very well known.  They require listening carefully to the comments of the others in the group, working through the issues together, and trying to arrive at a consensus (or agreement) that everyone feels is somewhat reasonable.

No one "wins," in my experience, in the ICANN committee arena. It is a give and take.

And I really like the voting rules circulated yesterday by Lynn, Sharon and Bill. I think they encapsulate important rules, a limited set, and give us a basic framework. Truly, I think that is all we will need.

Dear All,
Sending this message in advance of our conference call tomorrow.
Bill Smith, Sharon Lemon and I took the action item on our last call to propose a voting agreement for the group.

Different views and discussion are welcomed.  This is offered in the interest of making our call tomorrow as productive as possible.  Please note that ICANN values of consensus and transparency have been considered in this proposal. Here it is:

Proposed Whois RT Voting Agreement

1) A quorum of 50% of RT members is required to conduct a vote.

2) A winning vote requires 75% approval or support.

3) Each RT member has one vote; the ICANN CEO (or his alternate) has one vote; all other supporting ICANN staff will not have voting privileges.

4) Straw polls are permitted and do not prevent or restrict a final vote.

5) RT members may authorize another RT member to vote in proxy.

6) Each RT member may designate an alternate to attend meetings either remotely or in person.
However, the alternate will not have voting privileges, with the exception of the ICANN CEO alternate.

7) Meetings will be recorded and available for RT members who are unable to attend.

8) Voting requests will be communicated in writing via email with a minimum of 3 business days notice to respond.

9) Vote responses may be submitted via email or by verbal response on conference call meetings.

10) Each RT member will be identified with their vote.

Kathy Kleiman
Director of Policy
.ORG The Public Interest Registry
Direct: +1 703 889-5756  Mobile: +1 703 371-6846

Visit us online!
Check out events & blogs at .ORG Buzz!
Find us on Facebook | dotorg
See the .ORG Buzz! Photo Gallery on Flickr
See our video library on YouTube

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
Proprietary and confidential to .ORG, The Public Interest Registry.  If received in error, please inform sender and then delete.