[Rt4-whois] Proposal for the consultations

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Mon Mar 14 20:11:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 01:15:25PM +0000, Emily Taylor wrote:
> For the ASO meeting, I'm not sure I understand the thinking on the
> thinking.  I also don't want to alarm the ASO (or ccNSO for that matter)
> with any suggestion that we might be reviewing their WHOIS policies - I
> expect they would be strongly resistant to any such suggestion, or blurring
> of boundaries, because their policy making is independent of the ICANN
> process.

I talked on these slides with Wilfried yesterday. The slides does not imply
any responsibilites on the ASO internal policy making process, but we refer
to the known abilities of the ASO members and urges them to offer us
transfer of their experience from their own fields to our subject. It does
not state, that those questions are in scope of the whois review, but it
points out areas which looks promising for input.

> I would prefer us to be more neutral (and this goes for the longer slide
> deck), and make statements which are supported by the whole RT.

That's why I distribute the slides beforehand. I'd be more happy, if we had
discussed our slides for the community on sunday, but there are other
important agenda items. I went through the slides with Sarmad and heavily
extended them to meet your agenda for the Community interaction.

> sessions this week are much less about our opinions, and much more about
> asking different sections of the community to:
>
> - Highlight issues which they believe are important in relation to our work
> - Identify any key documents which they think we should consider
> - Tell us if there are best practices in their community which might benefit
> the ICANN community

Of course, I'll add an slide on this subject. As well as slides on the current
definitions (slightly edited to fit the text into the slides).
BTW: It's hard for me, because the LE was changed in a way I'd tried to avoid.

Current state:
  http://www.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/vortrag/RT4-Community-Consultation.ppt
  http://www.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/vortrag/RT4-Community-Consultation.pdf