[Rt4-whois] Security - Singapore

Alice Jansen alice.jansen at icann.org
Wed Apr 13 16:28:31 UTC 2011

Dear Kim,

Please see below a response from our Director of Security Operations:

Alice,
By all public estimates, the physical risks to Singapore from radiation leakage in Japan are negligible.

Singapore lies 3500 miles away from the effected zone.  The prevailing wind and sea currents flow North East from Japan and not toward Malaysia. Even in the unlikely event that any radioactive plume reaches Singapore, the impact would be inconsequential due to the dispersion / dilution of the contaminants carried over the long distance.

Current advisories issued by international and regional security firms are basically limited to “avoid travel to Japan” and despite rumors - no health risks to Singaporean residents from contaminated air, rain, sea water, seafood, etc have been substantiated.

Health officials in SG are monitoring this situation closely.  Please refer those wishing more info to:
http://www.gov.sg/government/web/content/govsg/classic/news/no+change+in+assessment+of+risk+to+singapore
http://www.gov.sg/government/web/content/govsg/classic/subsite/japan+earthquake+-+singapores+efforts
-------
Geoff