[Rt4-whois] Assignments - Action required

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Mon Jul 4 12:10:03 UTC 2011

Hi all

At our wrap-up face to face meeting in Singapore, the messages I took away
were:

- You want me to be more prescriptive as your Chair, and assign people to
draft up the sections of the report.
- We want to get the RFP issued and signed off
- We want to brain-storm recommendations, and "rise above our parochial
interests" in doing so.

*1.  Assigning individuals to draft up the report.*

OK - here's my assignments for drafting up the report:

Kathy - Sections 3 and 4 (Scope and Methodology)
Sharon - Section 5 (What do the terms contained in the AoC and our scope
mean) Law enforcement, applicable laws, producers and maintainers
Lynn - Section 5 (from Consumer trust)
James - Section 6 (Identification and Inventory of Existing WHOIS policy)
Emily - Section 7 (Identification and Inventory of ICANN's implementation)
Peter - Section 8 (Gap analysis)

Goal/Deadline.  Please circulate first draft by the end of July.  If you
need to get others to help you with sections, please do so, but you are
responsible for delivery of the draft in time. If you have other commitments
which will prevent you from meeting the deadline, please let me know as soon
as possible, and we will figure it out.

We will revisit Exec Summary, Introduction, and Recommendations once we have
made progress.

Sharon/Lynn - Section 5 is quite a biggie, and we also agreed that it would
contain use cases and stakeholder analysis.  We also need to work out how we
present the outcome of our law enforcement and consumer trust questionnaire.
 I think the best approach will be to annex the reports, and highlight the
findings in the body of the report. Section 5 will contain evidence of what
law enforcement and consumers told us their needs were.  Then any
impressions on policy or implementation will fit into sections 6 and 7, and
gaps identified will be in section 8.

*2. RFP*

Lynn has done some sterling work on the draft, and I think is awaiting some
input from the lawyers amongst us on the terms side (Kim - please can you
help out on this). My impression from our last meeting was that we are
comfortable for this to be issued, without further rounds of comments from
us.  So, Kim, can I ask you to coordinate with Lynn to get this finished,
and issued, and Lynn you can provide us with an update on Wednesday's call.

3. Brainstorming recommendations.

For our next call, I would like to start brainstorming our recommendations,
and I want everyone to pick their top 3.

I think Bill put it nicely in our last meeting:

"Pretend to be the wisest, most benevolent dictator.  You need to fix this
problem, but you cannot alienate one or more groups of your subjects.  What
would you do to solve it?"

So, on our next call, we will do a virtual tour de table, and deliver our 3
recommendations.

PLEASE NOTE: from 30 June 2011 my contact details have changed (see below).

  [image: Emily Taylor Consultancy - Internet Governance]   76 Temple Road,
Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

www.etlaw.co.uk  Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in
England and Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.