[Rt4-whois] Recommendations

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Wed Jul 6 08:43:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 11:24:39PM +0000, Susan Kawaguchi wrote:
> 1)      Create Single WHOIS policy
> 2)      Change to a Registry Thick WHOIS

I do oppose any thick whois apporach as RT-recommendation. Fulfilling
national data protection laws is impossible with any centralized (extra
territorial) data store.

>From the perspective of lawful implementation of Whois services, only a thin
whois structure is possible. I strongly suggest to extend the thin whois
delegations into the reseller chain. This requires approbriate contracts
between registries and registrars as well as registrars and resellers.

> 3)      Registrant pays for validation of WHOIS data
> 4)      Create contractual agreements between ICANN and each Proxy/Privacy Registration service provider and impose standardized best practices

I do oppose any proxy/privacy services while maintaining the whois requirement.
Either the data is required or proxy services are allowed. Both approaches
conflict in practice.

If proxy/privacy services are allowed, whois services should not collect and
publish personal data (of at least owner and admin) anymore.