[Rt4-whois] DAKAR MEETING - please confirm

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Aug 16 13:44:32 UTC 2011

Hi All,
Just back from vacation at the beach, and it was great (hoping yours
have been great too).
I wanted to share some thoughts about the final ICANN meeting of the
Accountability and Transparency Review Team. Their final meeting took
place after the publication of their Draft Final Report. It was the
first time in which the full report and recommendations were being
discussed at an ICANN meeting.

I remember that their report generated great excitement and concern,
especially among the Board. The meetings the ATRT held with the Board
required great diplomacy and skill to navigate, and resulted in some
very nuanced changes to the recommendations. (Note: admittedly, that was
because the ATRT recommendations focused on the Board.)

Here too, our recommendations, I think, will generate great interest and
some concern among some of the many parties we have met with in building
our report and recommendations -- particularly so within the GNSO and
GAC (and perhaps SSAC). I envision some very interesting discussions
about recommendations.  Based on those discussions, together we may need
to reformulate and finalize.

I should add that I think the final ICANN meeting of the ATRT may have
been its most important one with the community. It was the meeting where
the community commented on whether they felt they had been heard.  This
final process of listening and responding helped to build acceptance of
the ATRT report, shape final revisions that many considered to be very
important, and ease the way to rapid implementation of its recommendations.

I found the ATRT's final meeting to be a very important one, and I could
be mistaken, but I think ours will be too. I will be Dakar, and hope you
can be too.

All the best,
Kathy

Dear all