[Rt4-whois] Report input - privacy/proxy 'gaps' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Wed Aug 17 11:17:07 UTC 2011

Dear Peter,

Many thanks for your work on this draft.  I really like the way that you
have based your commentary on a bottom-up analysis of what the comments
said.  It shows that we have been listening to, and carefully analysing the
inputs that people have taken the trouble to give us.

I'm sure we'll be discussing it on today's call, and it's a pity that the
scheduling prevents you joining us.  I hope we will be able to have you on
our next call after this one, and we'll ensure that we have a good turn out.

My question in reading the proxy/privacy section is - apart from NCUC which
you referenced - did we have contrary views.  We have a lot of references
from law enforcement and IP constituency, but nothing at all from
registry/registrars or NCUC apart from that one quote.  I'm keen to ensure
that we present a balanced view of the inputs received, because it will give
a range of views.

All - please can we look out our notes of our face-to-face meetings.   I for
one took away a strong message from our call with the IPC that they had
*good* experiences of data release from a number of the larger providers,
and (while in a perfect world they may not want proxy/privacy services) were
able to live with them if they could have a predictable outcome.  This is
well captured in one of the recommendations, but doesn't quite come through
in the supporting text yet.

For the more radical recommendations - I'm not sure that I heard them being
asked for, even by the communities that you would expect to support them,
and therefore we need much more argumentation in the text to justify some of
the recommendations (if, indeed, the team can reach consensus on them).

Thank you again for a thorough and thoughtful piece of work Peter.  It
provides us with an excellent first draft on which to focus our discussions.

On 17 August 2011 10:16, Mikhail Yakushev <m.yakushev at corp.mail.ru> wrote:

>  Dear Peter, colleagues,****
>
> I have carefully reviewed Peter’s draft and mostly agree with the provided
> analysis.  I also would mostly agree with the suggested recommendations –
> but I think we need to discuss each of them separately to achieve the
> highest possible level of consensus within our team.****
>
> Kind regards,****
>
> Michael****
>
> ** **

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.