[Rt4-whois] Applicable laws

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed Aug 17 04:30:23 UTC 2011

Dear Lynn and All,
I wanted to say how much I appreciate Lynn posting the key regional data
protection frameworks to the group. I think they are very important, and
she and I have discussed the need for us to look at them more closely in
relation to the Whois data. I hope we can do this soon!

Regarding sensitive vs private data, I wanted to add my views as an
attorney who specializes in the area of data protection and privacy
since starting my telecommunications practice in 1993. While sensitive
data may focus on the areas of financial, birth, religion, health, and
let's add political affiliation and sexual orientation, that's not where
the story ends.

Data protection and privacy laws certainly consider home address, home
phone number, and now cell phone data as "private" or "personal data."
Certainly telecommunications laws in the US, as one example, regularly
protect the right of a person to "opt-out" of sharing their home address
or home phone number in a public directory as a matter of personal
privacy.  In fact, opt-out in directories was chosen by a majority of
Californians when last I researched it (and the state protects privacy
as part of its state constitution) because home addresses and home phone
numbers are considered very personal information, and worthy of protection.

These are the very elements that have been such an issue of controversy
within the ICANN arena. Over the last decade, as part of the history of
Whois within ICANN, at least four Data Protection Commissioners and
their senior staffs have warned ICANN about the problems of this data,
and its data protection implications. They are very concerned with the
elements now collected and published in the Whois. I will gather their
letters to ICANN and share them, as well as notes of the speeches they
have given. I would like to request that we ask ICANN Staff to work with
us on this important matter as well.

Ultimately, I do not think this is a matter for us to decide on (which
may relieve everyone greatly). As many of you know, I have been thinking
about this issue a great deal. I will be submitting a recommendation to
our Team asking that GAC provide ICANN with clear information about
relevant applicable laws, including data protection laws, and their
guidance, based on these laws, as to the elements of the Whois now
published. I'll distribute this before our meeting tomorrow.

All the best,
Kathy

Since data privacy is an area of specialization for me, I would like to
offer a couple of