[Rt4-whois] Applicable laws

Omar Kaminski omar at kaminski.adv.br
Wed Aug 17 15:43:25 UTC 2011

Dear Kathy, Lynn, Bill, all,

And data protection leads to... consumer trust. These very data is the
same required - or to be put or kept in public (or not) in the very
core of Whois, at least under the surface.

Consumer (usually local) and data protection - and even data retention
laws, and which cases could be disclosured specially under proxies
"protection".

Please remember a gTLD registrant or registrar could be hosted and
sold anywhere - for example if one of our ISPs sells gtlds (and of
course they do), they would be mutually responsible by brazilian laws
even for the lack of accuracy.

So I agree with Bill's last email, it's impossible to have all the
laws attended, even not doing anything we could comply to a law.

Should we try to focus on the big picture?

My quick 2 cents.

Omar