[Rt4-whois] FW: Reviewing proxy/privacy ideas [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed Oct 12 17:58:17 UTC 2011

Hi Peter, Emily and All,
I have been giving this a lot of thought too. I have also been doing
some research, and although I have been deeply embedded in the
proxy/privacy issue for some time, there is still so much I don't know!

Here are some of my thoughts:
1) I think you are right in dividing privacy from proxy from privacy
registrations. As you wrote, and as Emily has written below in her
recent email, proxy and privacy services (although spoken in the same
breath) are different.  I think our WRT Report can play an important
role in laying out the differences, and sharing why, to us, these
differences result in very clear and differing obligations and
responsibilities.

2) I don't think you restrict privacy services to natural persons. As we
have discussed in our meetings, there are many political organizations,
religious groups and even commercial companies that claim privacy
rights, and have legitimate reasons for not wanting to disclose a
physical address. What I do think we can encourage the ICANN Community
to develop is a series of guidelines for appropriate disclosure of the
underlying data to law enforcement and others (called "Reveal" in ICANN
parlance). (I also think the ICANN Community can develop a series of
guidelines for appropriate practices for passing on information to the
registrant at his/her/its address or email to notify them of all legal
proceedings, inquiries to purchase the domain name, etc. -- this might
defuse a lot of the existing tensions  ("Relay" in ICANN parlance).

3) I do like the idea of best practices for privacy providers.

4) After great thought, and debate with several people on the Team (tx
you!), I agree with you about proxy providers. I think your #7 is
probably right: that "ICANN should claify that the full rights and
responsibilities of a registrant accrue to the entity identified as the
registrant." There does not seem to be any other way to do it.

5) An additional point: Education. perhaps we can use our
recommendations to encourage clearer education of registrants, the ICANN
Community, and the greater Law Enforcement, Commercial and other
Communities. We can lay out the difference of proxy and privacy
providers, and ways the choice of privacy or proxy might impact the
registrants, and parties seeking the registrant.

6) One more additional point: Tiered Access. I don't know if we should
get into this, but the Whois protocol can be modernized and updated to
include levels of access for data -- e.g., privacy of addresses and
telephone numbers -- and then provide access to those who a) identify
themselves, and b) meet the criteria for access, e.g., law enforcement.
In this case, the Whois information is held by registrar and registries,
and thus much closer to ICANN. It is also far cheaper for registrants
(who are currently paying more for their privacy services per year than
their domain name, in many cases). Finally, it open future options for
the registries and registrars to manage access to the data -- perhaps
pursuant to rules ICANN might someday create. The current Whois protocol
can't provide this service, but others can (Restful DNS, etc).  Perhaps
a win-win?

Best and tx for all of your leadership in this area, Peter!
Kathy

<< From Emily:

Hi Peter