[Rt4-whois] FW: Adopting Specification 4 of the AGB

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Thu Nov 17 14:55:56 UTC 2011

Dear Susan,
I understand your desire to see a Thick Whois Model imposed across the
board. Watching the users on the video we watched in MDR struggle with
the searches was painful.  Knowing that you struggle with this issue
every day is even worse.

However, adopting the Applicant Guidebook provisions for New Registries
I don't see as being the right answer. In part, because it raises as
many questions as it answers, and it may pose instability to the Net.

To expand: As we have discussed, in the early days, the functions of
Registry and Registrar were not separate and Network Solutions both
managed the database for .COM, .ORG  and NET, and also registered domain
names into it.

In 1999, I believe, ICANN introduced the first bit of competition, 4
registrars to register domain names into the new gTLDs. As more
competition in the registrar business came in (considered a hallmark of
ICANN's work to introduce competition into the domain name space), the
registrars began banging on Network Solutions, then owned by SAIC, then
purchased by Verisign, to stop their compete ownership and control of
the Whois information. It was an element of the competitive nature of
the new domain name space to break up the information so one registry
would not own and control it all.

The key concern was, of course, .COM. And these issues, and the real
concern of this largest of the registry database, now numbering almost
100 million names (Oct 2011), would control the customer data and be
able to bypass the new registrars and compete directly for the
registration business, as well as creating a series of additional
business functions. It's an enormous set of competitive data (as we
heard from the Registrars in the Registry/Registrar meeting in Singapore
with us) Registrars remain very committed to this model, and for
legitimate reasons.

Further, the danger of converting a 100 million database is enormous.
When the Public Interest Registry took over the .ORG contract (after
competitive applications), among the first things it had to do was
convert the ORG registrations to thick ones. There were only a few
million registrations at the time and it was still an enormous and
delicate task. It was a huge moment.

Such a change, now to the enormous .COM database, is not an easy one to
think about. Every major company in the world has a .COM registration.
These websites are 24*7 operations. The risk to the Security & Stability
of the Net would be one to study closely and carefully.  The
difficulties, not to mention risks and liabilities, would be enormous.

Is there something we can do, within the confines of our mandate and our
fact-based research and assessment.  Yes, I really think there are.

We have some key things we have agreed to:
*1) Findability *- thin registration data should be findable. That's a
technical issue (broken links) and an educational issue (what's a thin
Whois, or better yet, how to I find .COM data). On education, there is
much we can do to educate and help Law Enforcement and Fraud
Investigators (public and private) to find the data we need. Let's
include some recommendations on these.
*2) Access & Accuracy *- as we have already been discussing and which
are key.

One thing we could do (and it will make us few friends) is to throw this
kettle of fish into the hands of the registries and registrars on a
timeframe, e.g., six months or one year, for their solutions and
recommendations.  They, together with the Community which must review
and accept their solutions, must move quickly.

But I don't think we can mandate a specific answer.
Best,
Kathy

: