[Rt4-whois] A word on proxies

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Sun Nov 27 07:52:26 UTC 2011

Hi all

I've been following the exchanges with interest.

On proxies, our default position should be what we agreed in Dakar.  We all
(including Susan) agreed those recommendations, despite virtually everyone
having reservations on some of the issues.  James and Susan (and latterly
Kathy) were tasked to see whether they could agree additional text on
proxies, and agreement wasn't possible.  To me, this indicates that we have
pushed the consensus as far as it can go at this stage.

I think that we could add a paragraph in our findings to say that we
wrestled with the issue of proxies, and set out a summary of both positions
(ie concern that it will just be continuation of what we have; vs concern
about bringing in an regulating non-contracted parties).  We should
definitely label this as one to watch, and an area where the community
should build up good practices voluntarily.  We welcome the
study/work/whatever on reveal and relay, and anticipate that it will
highlight many of the issues that we have encountered about patchy
standards amongst commercial proxy providers: from gold standard (eg
Domains by Proxy, [ others?  Moniker?]) to others such as Above.com (an
ICANN accredited registrar) which does not reveal until after UDRP or other
proceedings have started, and has been found against in over 100 UDRP
cases.  It is an area where improved standards are necessary to promote
consumer trust, and we look to the industry initially to work on these.
The next WHOIS Review will have more information (ie the outcome of many of
the studies which are just started now), and will be able to evaluate how
well the industry has done.

Susan - I appreciate, and share many of your concerns.  However, we
committed to a hard-won consensus on this issue in Dakar.  You have rightly
explored whether it's possible to do more, and it isn't at this stage. You
can see from the responses of others in the group (eg Seth, Peter) that the
preservation of our consensus is the most important thing at this stage of
our study.  I hope you will recognise how much we have achieved in this
regard.  Reading the draft report as a whole, I feel very proud of all of
our work, and our teamwork.

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.