[Rt4-whois] Definitions of Privacy and Proxy

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Tue Nov 29 07:31:43 UTC 2011

Hi Susan, Seth, Peter

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  I agree on consistency, and will be
happy to go with whatever you guys think best.

Alice - you can edit in as appropriate, yes?

On 29 November 2011 00:39, Susan Kawaguchi <susank at fb.com> wrote:

>  *Hello All, *
>
> ** **
>
> We seem to use varying definitions of privacy and proxy.   I found these
> two  definitions of both terms in our draft report****
>
> ** **
>
> In Chapter 4 page 43 ****
>
> **u ***Privacy Services *provide the Registrant's Name, but the Privacy
> Service's contact information. The Privacy Service passes on  non-spam
> messages to the Registrant, particularly legal notices, acting as a type of
> “registered agent.”****
>
>   ****
>
> **u ***Proxy Services* register the domain name and license it to another
> for use.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Chapter 8 Page 80****
>
> ** **
>
> *Privacy *services limit certain user details from WHOIS by offering
> alternate contact information and mail forwarding services, while not
> actually shielding the user’s identity. ****
>
> * *
>
> *Proxy *services have a third-party register domain names on the user’s
> behalf and then license the use of the domain name so that a third-party’s
> contact information (and not the licensee’s) is published in WHOIS. ****
>
> ** **
>
> I prefer the definitions from the Sept. 28, 2009 NORC report. ****
>
> *Background *****
>
> To ensure that the community can identify who is responsible for a domain
> name, a registered name holder is required to provide and update, as
> needed, their contact information with their registrar of record.
> Registrars are required by ICANN to collect and provide free public access
> to the name of the registered domain name and its name servers and
> registrar, the date the domain was created and when its registration
> expires, and the contact information for the Registered Name Holder, the
> technical contact, and the administrative contact. ** **
>
> In some instances, a registered name holder chooses to limit the amount of
> personal information that its registrar of record makes available to the
> public via a Whois query of their database. To do so, a registered name
> holder generally uses a privacy or proxy registration service. For the
> purpose of this study, the definitions of privacy and proxy services, as
> they relate to their use in the domain name system, are as follows: ****
>
> * *
>
> * *
>
> *A privacy service provider **offers the registrant an opportunity to
> register a domain name while concealing some personal identifying
> information listed in a WHOIS directory, such as his or her address,
> telephone number, or email address, by providing alternate contact
> information, often that of the privacy service provider. *****
>
> *A proxy service provider **registers the domain name on the registrant’s
> behalf and then licenses the use of the domain name to the registrant. The
> [...]

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.