[Rt4-whois] Hate to say this...

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Wed Nov 30 05:37:19 UTC 2011

But I don't see how we're going to get this out tomorrow. As best I can tell text is still coming in and some fairly serious edits, just to remove highlighting need to occur. Then there are the adds/deletes/mods that still have to happen along with a set of judgment calls between competing suggestions.

It turns out Kathy was unable to use the version that I circulated and has gone back to the one posted by Alice earlier today. Kathy will be adding Chaps 7, 8, and 9 to that earlier version and I'm hoping that we can then make a push for a "final" edit towards a clean version.

Based on my work today to try and clean things up, I think a minimum of five hours is required just to deal with highlighting and making "obvious" edits. Then we have controversial edits, and they probably need to be done by at least a small group (better to share the blame/decision). Lastly, there are style inconsistencies between the chapters that should be addressed, but I think that's perhaps best done after everything else to minimize effort.

I think we're looking at a good three days of work at minimum, and I'm offering myself, fulltime on this 'til it's done. One caveat is that we're going to need to reduce the number of software versions, simultaneous edits, etc. in order to pull this off - and turn track changes on at some point soon.

The work that has gone into this is phenomenal and I'm amazed at quantity and quality of what I see. Getting it right, or at least "righter" is still going to take some time in my opinion... not to mention some of the "issues" still outstanding.