[Rt4-whois] Recommendations and general update

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Wed Nov 30 09:41:52 UTC 2011

Hi all

Thanks for your work overnight (or at least, my night).

I'm trying to pull together the threads of the many e-mail messages that
have passed in the last 12 hours or so.

1. Version control - this is proving a nightmare for everyone.  I am sorry
that so many of you have been struggling with this.  I can see that we have
had comments on the whole or part of the report from Bill, Susan, Peter,
Lynn.  I understand that Kathy was unable to see Bill's edits, so rolled
back to an earlier version.  There is also an incredibly annoying,
persistent "comment" that is repeated about 100 times randomly throughout
the document, and needs to be eliminated as it's confusing.

*Action:  Alice, please would you circulate the latest copy of the Report
to the list as soon as possible, getting rid of highlighting except where
it indicates a major disagreement, and leaving in all the comments from
Bill, Susan, Peter and Lynn, but removing that buggy one.

*2. Recommendations - Peter noticed that the ambit of the privacy
recommendations seems to have changed since Dakar, without an explanation
of how or why that change was made.  Clearly, this will tend to reduce
confidence, so my focus this morning will be to review and circulate a copy
of the recommendations.  I'm assisted in this by Kathy's work yesterday.
She and I have been puzzling over how to clean up/wordsmith/ etc the
recommendations, while respecting the negotiated text.  This is a very
difficult task.  There are also new recommendations on proxies, the one
from Lutz on common interface, and one which I put in about the Whois Data
Reminder Policy (from the compliance letter).

*Action: I will review the latest draft recommendations, and compare with
the Dakar text.  I will circulate a clean and marked up copy, with the
latest versions of the recommendations, and an explanation for what has
changed and why.

*3. Deadline.  I'm not prepared to give up yet!  This is our draft report.
It is not our final version.  I will call it at 5pm UTC today.  I want us
to make every effort to get this out when we said we would. I really
believe we can do this.

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.