[Rt4-whois] Recommendations and general update [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Nettlefold, Peter Peter.Nettlefold at dbcde.gov.au
Wed Nov 30 10:19:52 UTC 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Hi Emily and all,

Thanks again to everyone for all the hard work on this.

I'm heading to sleep soon, so may miss the sign off if it goes ahead.

To hopefully help the proxy discussion along, I am comfortable with the principles/ideas in Seth's last email, so if there is a way to draft recommendations for ICANN to stop endorsing proxies and proactively clarify that anyone who engages in this practice should assume all liability, in a way that also addresses Susan's concerns, I would support those.

I do not support limited or voluntary measures to address the current problems with privacy or proxy services. These services have a profound impact on the effectiveness of WHOIS, and are the primary mechanism used by registrants to address privacy concerns, and ICANN needs to address them in a clear and comprehensive way. My concern is that limited or voluntary solutions will encourage gaming and provide safe harbours for bad actors. I think we can do better than that, and can come up with recommendations that address the current problems without encouraging new ones.

My other concerns are on record, so I'll pass the baton to whoever is awake, and wish you happy editing.

Cheers

Peter