[Rt4-whois] Recommendations and general update [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Wed Nov 30 12:10:33 UTC 2011

Hi Peter

Thanks - hope I can catch you before you head to bed.

I've been working through all the versions of the recommendations
documents, and I'm going to produce a guide to help us all assess the
language on this.  In answer to your specific question about where the
wording limiting the privacy provisions to ICANN accredited registrars was
introduced by James (clearly labeled and credited) on 23 November.    I
recognise that this is a change in the scope of the recommendation, which
was contentious to agree in Dakar, so I'm going to take this out for now.

I will try to find the latest version on proxies, which I think was
circulated by Susan, agreeable to James - who are the major players
involved in trying to get agreed language here.  I've set out the text I'll
be working with below this mail.

I hear what you say about voluntary provisions re: proxies, Peter. The
trouble is, we won't reach consensus in this group for anything stronger at
this time - that's my estimation anyway.  James and Susan have worked very
effectively together (and represent fairly polarised views on this issue,
but a common interest in nudging the community towards doing better).  For
what it's worth, I think that what they have come up with is good, and gets
the issue of proxies in frame.  It throws the responsibility back on to the
industry to come up with standardised reveal and relay.  If done
voluntarily, that would be great.  By the time the ongoing reports come
out, and the next WHOIS Review Team kicks off (we will be on a beach by
then, sipping pina coladas), it will be apparent whether or not those
voluntary measures have had the required effect - if they have not, more
will be needed.  However, the benefits of this approach are (1) it
highlights a specific problem and throws the responsibility on to the
industry to resolve it (2) it sets up expectations that more will be done
if it is not resolved in a satisfactory way.

------------------

All of this would be voluntary on the part of the proxy service provider.

Definitions
A proxy service - we should use the agreed upon definition once we have it.

>From 2009 RAA 1.20 "Affiliated Registrar" is another ICANN accredited
registrar that operates under a common controlling interest.
Affiliate retail proxy service provider is an entity that operates under a
common controlling interest of a registrar. "
Retail proxy service provider - provides a proxy service with little or no
knowledge of the entity or individual  requesting the service  beyond their
ability to pay and their agreement to the  general terms and conditions.

Limited proxy service provider - provides a proxy service for an entity or
individual in which there is an ongoing business relationship bound by a
contract that is specific to the relationship.

1)      a registrar is  required to disclose their relationship with a
Retail proxy service provider to ICANN.

2)      A retail proxy service provider should follow best practice
guidelines developed by the community.  These may include the following:

a.      standardized relay and reveal processes and timeframes;

establish a standardized process for requesting contact information for a
proxy registration

b.      guidance on the appropriate level of publicly available information
on the registrant;
c.      maintenance of a dedicated and available  abuse point of contact;
d.      public disclosure of contact details and the physical address of
the retail proxy service provider; and
e.      validate registrant contact information.
3.      The best practice guidelines should be developed in close
consultation with the GAC, privacy advocates, law enforcement, and other
interested stakeholders.
4.      ICANN should encourage and incentivize registrars to interact with
the retail service providers that adopt the best practices.

--

*
*

emily at emilytaylor.eu