[Rt4-whois] Recommendations - updated language SOURCED

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Wed Nov 30 14:43:34 UTC 2011

After a quick look, all but the privacy/proxy best practice recommendation seem acceptable to me. Those best practices might, and I stress might, be a step in the right direction but I have serious concerns with codifying the current set of practices. I am especially concerned with the "retail" language and the implication that it is acceptable for a service provider to act as the registered name holder, license the name to unknown entities, and have no liability for these actions.

Reading the Ninth Circuits ruling that Susan circulated, that current RAA language was referenced to support the opinion that such a name holder has no liability, based on the current RAA language. What has been proposed, in my opinion, goes further and clearly indicates that this is not only accepted but expected behavior by contracted parties, or their "relations".

It's my opinion that this is an area that ICANN, in ICANN time, allowed to develop and fester.

While I think it important that ICANN codify current practice, it is our responsibility to point out where current practice (policy) is harmful. In my opinion, this is such an area.