[Rt4-whois] Centralized Whois Query system run by ICANN - Scope and concerns

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed Nov 30 15:56:29 UTC 2011

All,
Is this the current version of the Lutz proposal now in circulation?  I
thought it applied only to a centralized database of the current "thin
registries," namely .COM and .NET. If so, I can see the advantages and
support sending it out as a recommendation  in the draft report.

But if this is a single database of all registries, thick and thin, now
and in the future, I think we creating a database problem. It's an
enormous amount of data and creates a focal point for abuse, for
warehousing, etc. It's the type of policing job that ICANN has never had
to do, and is not operationally set up to do.

So thought summary:  If ICANN is helping remedy a bad situation by
operating a single registry for .COM and .NET to fix a historical
problem, I think I am OK for now (pending review of the draft with
registries -- after publication is fine). One database of all Whois
information to Rule the World, not so good.

RECOMMENDATION EDIT:

Detailed recommendation:
   ICANN should set up a dedicated, multilingual website to allow
   "unrestricted and public access to accurate and complete WHOIS
   information" **FOR .COM AND .NET, THE EXISTING "THIN REGISTRIES"** even for those people which have problems with the plain
   WHOIS protocol.

   The WHOIS information should be collected by following the thin WHOIS
   approach starting at whois.iana.org. The service should display the
   contractural relationships which are revealed by the WHOIS referals in
   a clear and understandable way. The results should be mark clearly the
   relevant information "including registrant, technical, ** DELETE BILLING** billing, and
   administrative contact" data.

** NOTE: Billing data, which includes credit cards Folks, is simply not
displayed in any other Whois search results. It is only registrant,
technical, and admin contact.**

Best,
Kathy