[Rt4-whois] Recommendations - updated language SOURCED

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Wed Nov 30 16:06:04 UTC 2011

One other comment on the recs, and our "suggestion" that ICANN appoint one "throat to choke" on WHOIS. I'm *very* supportive of that, but have significant concerns with the suggestion that Compliance own this.

I think Compliance does a fine job, at what they do. However, they are neither charged with nor staffed to fill this role.

This isn't intended as a criticism of Compliance, or the individuals. I think they are doing exactly what they are charged with and do a remarkable job given their staffing levels and makeup. Anointing Compliance as WHOIS Czar won't address the underlying issue; that ICANN does not treat WHOIS as an essential piece of its, and the Internet's, business.

To address that issue requires a broader approach than simply enhanced compliance. The specific issues are varied and include technical (protocol, encoding), policy, operations, among other disciplines.

I'm concerned that the Board could deal with this by adding one staff member, perhaps another lawyer, to the Compliance team and indicate that it had addressed the issue. I seriously doubt that it would.

(I apologize for not bring this up earlier. I knew I had another concern but couldn't remember it when I drafted my earlier note. Too early, too old.)