[Rt4-whois] Updated Recommendation 14 - Centralized Database

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Wed Nov 30 23:22:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 08:55:59PM -0200, Omar Kaminski wrote:
> I agree with you from the users' pow, but how to make the access
> "unrestricted and public" with proxy servers that have a restrictive
> access by its own purposes, even for privacy reasons?

That's one of the problems with the AoC. We are not allowed to discuss the
AoC, but have to take it a the guide to the expected future.

By interpeting the Consumer Inside Study a centralized "web search of Whois"
seems to be the natural solution, because almost all private run services of
this kind hide the results between advertisments (and confusing the reader),
proclaming arbitary restrictions to the data access, suffer from such
restrictions by the WHOIS server operators, or illegaly copy the data into
their repository.

OTOH such a "web search" operated by ICANN has to opportunity to deal
correctly with the data (in terms of the existing policies and local laws),
is multilingual in the correct(TM) way, and can fullfil the AoC
requirements. The last point is simple, because ICANN (as the operator) is
bound to the AoC, and ICANN (as the operator) has contractual relationships
with the WHOIS server operators.

If ICANN feels, that it can't run such a service as required by the AoC,
ICANN is the only institution which has the power to *change* those
requirements.

And all of those things comes for free (no policy involved, updated, required).