[Rt4-whois] The New Proxy Language

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Thu Dec 1 14:13:06 UTC 2011

My preference is to replace the Voluntary Best Practices Guidelines. I think there is useful information in that language to guide development of SLAs regarding Registrant responsibilities and response times so would hate to see that work "tossed".

Seth's language is an attempt to "flesh out" the simple text we had in Dakar, that said ICANN should remove reference to proxy services from the RAA. I think he's done a good job, albeit perhaps a first cut, at doing that and getting a conversation going on the practical implications of, let's call it the Dakar proxy compact.

As I recall, one of the reasons we decided to recommend removing proxies from the RAA is that no matter how hard we, or ICANN tries to control or regulate the proxy business, anyone can operate such a service outside of the control of ICANN or the community. They simply register names and act on behalf of someone else.

What we, asa community, can do is develop some policies that set out what is expected of all parties, including Registrants and have consequences, mandatory in some cases, for failure to comply with the policies. The consequence of last resort is revocation of the name.

These policies wouldn't take the place of legal action, but they would fill the void where Registrants, or their proxies, are non-responsive.

The alternative is the voluntary code, but we know that can be avoided, and letting the courts handle the situation... but that's basically where we are today so I don't see how a code, voluntary or not helps in the end.