[Rt4-whois] No agreement on Lutz's recommendations - other work in progress

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Fri Dec 2 17:32:29 UTC 2011

Hi All,
I'll share my views, but also with a tired sigh having spent so much of
the last few days editing (the part of the report task I thought we were
on). So there is much more to share, but I will give you the highlights,
at least in my mind.

_Findings_
1. We promised to derive all of our recommendations based on findings.
In this case, the findings are:
A. We have a findability problem with some thin registries - our
qualitative survey showed that people are having trouble finding the
registrars for .COM domain names; we have some confirmation of this
problem in the comments as well.
B. We have no findability problem with thick registries. In fact, the
opposite is true. We have pointed to thick registries as the models of
what we want to see in Whois databases, and applauded the New gTLD
Guidebook for making the thick registry the model for all new gTLDs.
C. We may not even have a findability problem with two thin registries
that we have never discussed, .JOBS and .NAME.

_Concerns
_D. This recommendation arose after MDR and Dakar. We have never - in
person- talked about, worked through, or debated in person the wording
of this recommendation. It did not arise until recently, even as we were
finishing the chapters. Except in the last few days, even as some of us
were working hard on the report format, footnotes and cross-references.

E.It does not seem correlated at all to our findings. We found a problem
with .COM findability -- and documented it.

F.  Most importantly, We have not checked for other work going on.
Parallel work in other areas, e.g., consumer trust, is something we
spoke a lot about. Here too, there is parallel work, but we have done no
research into in. In fact, there is an issues report and public comment
in play on this very issue.

In fact, there are other proceedings going on and a fascinating recent
report from the IRTP just out that is looking at a thick database for
.COM and .NET for registration transfer purposes (and we can, of course,
see many other benefits to that.  In a proceeding now open, they are
asking the very questions we should have as well:

/Background/
*Here's what I wrote in our Report's Policy Chapter:*
     ==> "Although the .COM and .NET WHOIS models have remained
unchanged for 11 years, there are some recommendations underway within
the GNSO asking the community to consider the value of moving thin
registries to a "thick WHOIS" model. Published on November 22, 2011, the
comments ask the Community what "positive and/or negative effects" may
arise from such a change.[footnote] As this evaluation is now taking
place, it is not an existing policy which the Review Team could
evaluate. However, we note the proceeding could lead to significant
changes in the area."

*Here's the IRTP's Recommendation #3: *
==> "The WG recommends requesting an Issues Report on the requirement of
'thick' WHOIS for all incumbent gTLDs. The benefit would be that in a
thick registry one could develop a secure method for a gaining registrar
to gain access to the registrant contact information. Currently there is
no standard means for the secure exchange of registrant details in a
thin registry. In this scenario, disputes between the registrant and
admin contact could be reduced, as the registrant would become the
ultimate approver of a transfer. Such an Issue Report and possible
subsequent Policy Development Process should not only consider a
possible requirement of 'thick' WHOIS for all incumbent gTLDs in the
context of IRTP, but should *also consider any other positive and/or
negative effects that are likely to occur outside of IRTP that would
need to be taken into account when deciding whether a requirement of
'thick' WHOIS for all incumbent gTLDs would be desirable or not."

*Called the *Preliminary Issue Report on'Thick' Whois, and recently
issues, *ICANN staff explored some of these issues and has put a public
notice out to the community to participate in the assessment of positive
and negative effects of changes to the thin registries. Up for public
comment now on the ICANN website *(btw, all, a key flag raised on this
before the IRTP was privacy, and input on this issue is expected in the
public comments).*

*G. Can we even mandate a multilingual interface when, to the best of
our knowledge, it does not even exist?*__(Did I miss something in our
great IDN analysis/chapter?)

H. Overall, we have ventured into an area we have not discussed in
detail, even among ourselves, and frankly with the registries,
registrars and Community who would be impacted. It's a policy change
that we are suggesting - a detailed technical move - and it last minute.
I am very concerned. *
*_

Conclusions

_I thoroughly recommend at this point that we don't take make any
recommendation in this area. There is simply to much we don't know, and
too much underway that we have not even tried to look at.

Should we decide it is critical to move forward, we should not recommend
a technical solution, but allow ICANN to find it, consistent with other
proceeding. As Peter says, let's open this up for input.

*//*_So here is the recommendation, if we have to make one at all:
_
** ==> To make the Whois data of .COM and .NET more accessible to those
who seek it, the Review Team recommends that the ICANN Board direct an
effort to facilitate easier access to the thick Whois data of .COM and
.NET.  This effort should coordinate with existing discussions within
the GNSO of a Thick Whois database for existing thin registries and aim
for a multilingual interface when technologically feasible.

 From Emily:
Thank you for these constructive ideas. Apologies for my mistake on this
one. I would like Kathy's view on the proposed wording before any sign
offing this as I am aware it is something on which she has previously
raised comments. Peter I think you meant thin registries didn't you?
That would be a more accurate and precise version of what we agreed.
This another one where (I think) we are all agreed on a minimum which in
my view would represent a real step forward. What there is not consensus
on is how far or whether such a look-up could or should be expanded. If
is not already clear in the text we should find a way of expressing
clearly that our proposal should not necessitate any transfer of
databases, escrow or similar. It is simply a single look up point. Sent
from my iPhone On 2 Dec 2011, at 07:35, Lutz Donnerhacke