[Rt4-whois] Questions on Recommendation 17

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Mon Feb 6 16:02:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 10:19:33AM -0500, Kathy Kleiman wrote:
> Thank you for the detailed answers below. I am still working through them
> and urge others to review them closely as well.  I would very much like to
> see the "all-whois" website you have been running since 1996 -- would you
> be willing to share the link?

The current state (focused on the German speaking community) is
 http://www.iks-jena.de/eng/Tools/Whois

It's mostly useful for looking up IP addresses, especially IPv6 transition
addresses like 2001:0:d911:c0d9:0:fbde:3d50:212c or 2002:d911:c0d9::1

The majority of users come from the German Law Enforcement (low level
crime), simply because they are happy to call German speaking people in the
case of trouble.

> There does seem to be a difference in how we view the AoC. I never saw as
> **requiring ** ICANN to have an operational role in running websites

You are absolutly right. The AoC does not urge ICANN to operate a service at
it's own. But - in order to fulfill the requirements from the AoC - the only
party, which can run such a service, is ICANN itself. Therefore the proposal.

> I will send back more detailed comments shortly.  Thank you for this
> discussion online and, hopefully, in CR as well. And thanks for the link to

No, I'll not make it to CR. I was ill (recurrent corneal erosion) between
the years and be urged to do not travel that far in the next few months.