[Rt4-whois] Questions on Recommendation 17

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Feb 7 13:20:57 UTC 2012

Lutz, thank you for the link, and the discussion. I personally don't see
a clear requirement, under the AOC, for ICANN to run a service itself
(or contract for the service).  It is about the policies...

Historically, I thought your suggestion of the portal arose (or got
momentum) in our discussions because of "findability" and some of the
recent work (work towards the end of our year) that showed the survey
participants having trouble finding Whois data generally and thick Whois
data in particular.

So I thought and agree that we should address the issue of "findability"
which, I believe, has both policy and operational possibilities.
Frankly, I think education, pointers, explanations, and clarifications
COULD be run by ICANN -- to help clarify the field (e.g., a page with
links to every thick and thin gTLD registry/registrar and an overview of
thick and thin registries and where to find Whois data).

On the flip side, I would like to better understand the implications of
ICANN running a search portal -- and what happens when all Whois
searches go through one site. As an old CS/IT person, that was always
the scenario we wanted to avoid... and today the searches (as we so well
know) are decentralized. I hope people will comment.

On a related note, please see the comments from ICANN Chair Steve
Crocker (who created the RFC/Request for Comment process years ago
within the IETF). They are well-reasoned and thorough and we need to
think through our answers, responses, and possible clarifications,
changes, expansions, additional reasoning, etc.  (as with all comments).

I am offline today teaching, but back later. Lutz, I am so sorry you
can't join us in CR, and truly hope for rapid and full recovery!

All the best,
Kathy
: