[Rt4-whois] Recommendation 17

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Wed Apr 25 22:34:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:23:07PM -0300, Omar Kaminski wrote:
> Technically speaking is there any need of a new Whois pattern? Or it's
> a matter of Whois database (and interface) stardardization?

Technically speaking there is a need for encoding abstraction and structure
preserving transport format ... like RESTful-Whois using XML.

Practically speaking the current text based implementating only needs some
best current practices (i.e. a swift to UTF8 encoing and some field naming
recommendations like "refer: level-deeper-whois-server").

Lawfully speaking the current storage model violates the many local and
international data protection laws and the access to the data violates
further local laws. So we have to face a strong move to thinner WHOIS models.

Crime fighters are in the opposite situation and would prefer to have all
the date stored centrally so that they have easy access to complete data
while others might have limited up to no access. So we have to face a strong
move to thicker WHOIS models.

>From the point of usability all of those issues are irrelevant and need to
be hidden behind a Web interface as requested by the original rec 17.