[Rt4-whois] FW: Executive Summary - clean and checked [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Nettlefold, Peter Peter.Nettlefold at dbcde.gov.au
Thu May 3 02:16:40 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Thanks to all for the hard work on this - I think it is a very good piece of work.

Like Emily, I have avoided making any comments of substance, and I think we have worked well to achieve really clear and balanced recommendations, and have worked well together as a team to reach those positions.

That said, I did make a few edits and comments where I thought it would help clarity and consistency.

First, I edited a few minor easy-to-fix typos in revision mode (e.g. a missing full stop, some places where we said 'Whois' instead of 'WHOIS', a missing 'the', etc).

I also spotted a number of formatting and stylistic issues that would be good to address, but I did not make all of the necessary changes, as I expect we will adopt a consistent style across the whole report, and I don't know what that is. The main ones I noticed were:

*       The indenting of dot points is inconsistent across the document (sometimes we indent them, sometimes not)

*       Sometimes acronyms are spelled out, at other times not, or not on their first usage (I started noting some obvious instances, but stopped, as there were a lot). I did not try to impose a fix for this, as I can't remember if we're using a glossary or not?

*       We are inconsistent about capitalising (eg 'compliance' and 'Compliance') - my personal preference is not to unnecessarily capitalise, but in either case we should be consistent

This is pretty minor stuff, but would nonetheless be good to fix in my opinion, if possible.

Lastly, and of more substance:

*       I made a couple of comments in the IDN section - I do not want to change the intent of this section (which I broadly agree with). However, I have made some comments about the clarity, as there were a couple of areas where the current text appeared unclear or ambiguous - at least to me. I haven't offered text in all instances, so will look to others to help clarify if possible. These are not show-stoppers for me, but more about clarity.

*       I highlighted the accuracy text already commented on by Susan, and support her proposed changes to keep our references to inaccuracy consistent (I didn't make the changes, but only highlighted the text, in case others disagree).

All of my comments and edits are in revision mode, and none of them are show-stoppers for me, so if others disagree I'm happy for them not to be picked up.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter