[Rt4-whois] Fwd: Additional budget details

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Wed May 23 17:52:36 UTC 2012

Making the information available seems a very good thing. However…

With just a cursory review one might question the FY11 actuals:

  *   Ignoring overhead, 46% of Compliance spending is "other department allocation".  A significant amount.
  *   Travel has an overhead allocation of 36%. Why and for what purpose?
  *   Admin overhead is calculated at a surprising 119%.
  *   Other department allocation and overhead represent 57% of compliance spend.

It would also be helpful to know what is included in each category in order to  better understand if funds are being spent appropriately.

On the one hand I'm hesitant to include this information in our report without an opportunity to better understand the numbers and on the other, I was hoping we had concluded our work. Perhaps we could include a statement indicating that ICANN helpfully provided this information, but given that the RT had concluded its work, a thorough evaluation was not possible. We suggest that this information be provided much earlier in the next WHOIS Review cycle to enable the next RT to understand ICANN budgeting and to determine if Compliance funds are being spent appropriately.